Monday, June 26, 2006

 

Comedy music eats!

Jeff Simmons - Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up

This here platter is one of the rarest on the Bizarre / Straight labels. And that's saying something, because nobody bought any of that stuff. They must have pissed away a bowl full of money over that concept.

A fun concept it was, though. I love almost everything on that label - the kindly captain, Judy Henske, Tim Buckley, Alice Cooper (when that meant something), Wild Man Fischer... but you all know these records backwards and forwards.

I'm not sure why, but this record seems to get slagged off as crap compared to those others. Sure, it's got a few fillers, but it's got some killers, too. A couple of them were so good that FZ had to pinch them to round out his later albums - and they were the best tracks on there.

Zappa plays on a couple of the tracks credited as LaMarr Bruister (probably a high-larious inside joke to be had there). The other tracks feature a guy named Craig Tarwater from LA band Sons of Adam. Craig has a Zappa-like feel with the amp tone and note cramming style. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them without the liner notes, IMHO.

If 200 Motels is a credible source, Jeff quit the Zappa clan to get away from comedy music. Too bad, he was pretty good at it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24212750/Jeff_Simmons_-_Lucille_Has_Messed_My_Mind_Up.rar.html

Comments:
If anyone has Naked Angels, could you post it for me? I've been looking for it for about twenty-five years.
 
... see a fat lady and I start talking dirty! .....
 
If 200 Motels isn't a credible source, the word has no meaning. I'm relatively amazed this link is still good 3 months later. Thanks!
 
I would be VERY greatful if I could get a copy of that song. It's not on rapid share anymore

Lucille(Has Messed My Mind Up)

damianmann@gmail.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?