Friday, July 28, 2006

 

Girl Group Identity Crisis

The Cake

This is, or at least ought to be, three different ep's by three different girl groups from 1968.

The first one is by an LA three piece girl group called The Cake. It is three songs worth of the most beautiful late period girl group you'll hear. Echoes like frickin caverns. Very obviously made by some of the same musicians Spector and Nitzsche used on their sessions (credited, for class). Earth-shattering.

The second is by an LA three piece girl group called The Cake. It is three songs in a harpsichord folk feel. It reminds me a lot of the post-Joe Byrd USA tracks by Dorothy Moskowitz. Kind of pleasant, not Earth-shattering.

The third ep is by an LA three piece girl group called The Cake. It is five songs, mostly covers, with an above average soul feel. It is easy to suppose that this band could have been something had they not been saddled with such shite material (Stand By Me?!? - there ought to be a law...) by their manager. Worth a couple of spins, not Earth-shattering.

What was it with US Decca during this period? Their cover art is horrible, and the album covers are really poor quality. They were a big label, why was their product so shoddy? And for fuck's sake, why didn't they focus the camera for the cover shot for this album? Historians want to know if this group was hot or not.

http://rapidshare.de/files/27408834/The_Cake.rar.html

Comments:
This record stacks up as one of the better fifty-cent Goodwill purchases I've made in a long time.
 
Sorry, I should mention that it's the CAKE album pictured I'm referring to...
 
Great record--I can post the 2nd Cake album on my blog (A Slice of...) if you're interested.
 
I'd love to hear it, max
 
Any chance that I could get the track listing? I can't seem to find it anywhere... Thanks!
 
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. here
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?