Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Johnny Rotten's favorite album

Peter Hammill - Nadir's Big Chance

This is an album cited by Johnny Rotten as a big influence on his first popular band. Because of this, it's gotten a reputation as some sort of prescient pre-punk punker. I don't quite buy that.

This album is really not *that* different from a van der Graaf album. Pete is still in his dramatic semi-operatic style. I think what people are responding to is the way the more guitar based arrangements accentuate the similarity between parts of his style and the later safety pin set. Because when Pete gets excited, he gets snarly. He's there about a quarter of the time on this lp.
I like this album, but there's a lot of vdGG and Hammill stuff I like better. Try any of the great group albums (H to He, Least We Can Do, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff) or maybe one of the first couple solo records, and I think you'll see what I mean.

There is a little scuff on the back side, and a slight skip. Sorry, rockers, this isn't an easy album to find in the states, so it's the best I can do.

http://rapidshare.de/files/33015750/Peter_Hammill_-_Nadir_s_Big_Chance.rar.html

Comments:
Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money
 
I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for here. Now fuck off.
Will putting up comment moderation reduce comments? Is this mathematically possible?
 
Hi,
I'm also looking for ways to make money but I choose other places than blogs. I really loked the Hamill album. It's been cited as a big influence to many artists I respevt highly. You really manage to pick rare albums that really live up to their hype. I would be very happy if you could put up the Simply Saucer album as well. Thanks a lot
 
Simply Saucer, eh? I'll add it to the queue. Glad you are enjoying the other posts. Thanks for commenting.
 
Thanks for putting this up.
I have always been Hammill curious, having liked his stuff on Robert Fripp's Exposure.
Now I'll have to check out his other stuff and VdGG too.
I really like your blog. Keep it up!
 
It's not just the music that's really good. The comments are always worth reading which makes you blog the one I return to on a almost daily basis. It's a relief that someone has something to say about the music instead of just quoting record catalogoues, pressreleases or dictionaries. Keep up the good job. Sorry I forgot my password so I posted anonymously. It's by Esping
 
It's not just the music that's really good. The comments are always worth reading which makes you blog the one I return to on a almost daily basis. It's a relief that someone has something to say about the music instead of just quoting record catalogoues, pressreleases or dictionaries. Keep up the good job. Sorry I forgot my password so I posted anonymously. It's by Esping
 
dead
 
Peter Hammill fan Sid Smith has blogged about his wife Deb (not a PH fan) delivering household lines like "I'll be putting the wash out on the clothesline now" or "Could you pop down to market for a tin of beans" in a dead-on stentorian Hammill-esque operatic snarl when he's been playing VDGG stuff too long. What a concept.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?