Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
Local band makes good

The New Tweedy Bros!

This is maybe the first private press psych album I ever got my hands on, and one of the best. The Bros were from Portland, and headed down to 'Frisco to catch the wave of record co hype of '66-'67. They didn't.

But what they did do was record an album that stands a whisker below the classics from the time. Start with that happy jug-band groove of the Spoonful, add in a little Grape and Springfield, and a jigger of good ol' early GD experiment, and you've got a pretty neat lil platter. Each song has a little different feel, keeping it feeling fresh.

The songwriting is not super strong, and the singing is a little bland, keeping it a bit off from the classics. I'll give it 4 1/2 out of 5.

Start with track 4 if you don't believe me. It's pretty neat.

http://rapidshare.de/files/36430115/The_New_Tweedy_Brothers.rar

Comments:
Hi there. Here's a request, if you can oblige...

The Searchers released two albums in the late70s/early80s: 'The Searchers' and 'Love's Melodies'. The second features a cover of "September Gurls" (the first??), and I heard that both albums are fantastic doses of power pop. Neither one was ever released on CD, just LP. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if I ever see them pop up! Fantastic blog...
 
Thanks for the request, but I can't help you with that one. Sounds cool, though.
 
thanks - another cool post
 
i love that song "her darkness in december" monster..
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?