Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

K-razy baby

Slim Gaillard - Laughing in Rhythm

I don't like jazz singers. I've made this rant before, but indulge me. Most of them are so mannered and schmaltzy that I want to vomit after 20 secs. And that Ella-lite scatting that most of them do - eeeeesh.

But there's a couple I can dig. Chet Baker, Patty Waters, Leon Thomas... Mostly, the ones I can stomach are the ones who throw out all that convention and go bonkers. Like Slim Gaillard here.

Slim invents his own syntax, and takes it to the frickin hilt. Lots of stuff about food, some words that didn't come from anywhere, and some flat out incomprehensible gibberish. And it all works. Some of it is fall-down funny.

This is a missing link to a lot of places. I'll bet Tom Waits has a Slim record or two. And probably Flavor Flav. Lord Buckley. If you can find where those three intersect, you'd probably find this record.

Note that there are at least a couple of budget releases with this title (the world of public domain can be like that). This is the single disc one on Verve.

http://rapidshare.com/files/9851841/The_Best_of_Slim_Gaillard-_Laughin__in_Rhythm.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/9854054/The_Best_of_Slim_Gaillard-_Laughin__in_Rhythm2.rar

Comments:
I suspect Screaming Jay Hawkins had a Slim stash too. Thanks for this one!
 
Hey, thanks for this. My ears were blind to Slim. This is some fun stuff.
 
Does humour belong in music?
It certainly does.
Nice one.

Thanks
Mike
 
Mery,joly music stuff. his laughing make soul more optimistic.
 
hi there i noticed the word leon thomas on your page, having enjoyed his euphoric chants on karma (pharaoh sanders) for some time i was excited by the article.
i really think you should the network
http://www.rogepost.com/
for your files because of the extreme tiredness i get everytime i shall wait 2 minutes to be allowed to start the downloading.
on the page mentioned above its much more easier.

this is just a thought with hope for you hearing me and maybe doing something about it. i enjoye your postings.
http://billeder.reallifelog.com
 
I was lucky enough to have seen Slim perform at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the mid 80's. He was funny and charming and still knew how to lead a swinging little combo.

And if that doesn't make you jealous, when I finished watching the first set, I went across town and saw Screamin' Jay live at a bar on the northside. Pretty incredible day, it was.
I have some Slim stuff on my site as well....
http://baikinange.blogspot.com/search/label/Slim%20Gaillard
 
Cheap Levitra is a PDE5 inhibitor used for treating ED (impotence) that is active substance name vardenafil HCl.
Thank you very much.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?